If you have a camper in your party that has a sweet tooth then this dish is a must. It allows you to easily make sweet rolls without a lot of trouble and only you will know how easy this recipe really is but…..do not limit yourself to this recipe. Nuts, other spices, fresh fruit and/or dried fruit can simply be added to the recipe to truly make it your own. So experiment and who knows you may decide to call this recipe “YOUR NAME” sticky buns.
Campfire Recipe: Basic Breakfast Sticky Buns
Liquid or spray oil
1 stick of butter
1 cup of packed brown sugar
1 ½ teaspoon of ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon of ground nutmeg
1 loaf of thawed frozen bread dough
- Take the stick of butter out to soften.
- Build the camp fire to prepare the coals.
- Oil a 12-inch Dutch oven with either spray or liquid oil.
- Cut parchment paper to fit inside the 12-inch Dutch oven and place on top of the greased surface.
- Place a grilling rack on top of the camp fire.
- Cut six tablespoons of butter from the stick and place in a small Dutch oven or fire-proof saucepan.
- Melt the butter on the grilling rack.
- Pour the melted butter on top of the parchment paper.
- Turn the 12-inch Dutch oven so that the melted butter is spread out in the bottom of the pan.
- In a small bowl, combine the packed brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- On a floured surface or sheet of parchment paper, roll out the thawed dough so that it forms a 12-inch-by-12 inch square.
- Cut the remaining butter and spread on the dough.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg mixture on the rolled out dough.
- Roll the dough up tight and seal the seams.
- Cut into one-inch slices. Place the slices in the prepared 12-inch Dutch oven.
- Once all the dough has been sliced, cover the 12-inch Dutch oven with a towel and top with lid.
- Allow to sit until the dough is double in size. The time for this can range from one to two hours depending on the outdoor environment.
- After the dough has risen, moved the 12-inch Dutch oven to a heat resistant surface. Arrange 12 prepared coals in a circle and place the Dutch oven on top.
- Arrange 18 prepared coals on the edge of the lid.
- Organize eight around the center of the lid.
- Cook for 22 minutes.
- Once the time is up, knock off the prepared coals and remove the Dutch oven from the circle of coals.
- Allow to cool for a minute or two.
At this point, you can either place a plate on the Dutch oven and flip it or you can lift up the sticky buns by grabbing hold of the parchment paper and placing on a plate. If you decide to do the latter, make sure that you flip the dough so that the parchment paper is on top. This will allow the caramel sauce to be on top of the sticky buns plus it makes cleanup of the Dutch oven easier.
Latest Update: Sunday, September 25, 2022